Wednesday, March 12, 2008

More Nunavut/Nunavik Bonding

Everywhere I looked this morning, I saw kids from Nunavut and Nunavik hanging out together. Inuktitut is the common bond between the regions. Dialect isn't as big an issue as some seem to think.

From left are Margaret Tukkiapik, Madeline Annanack, Karen Weetaluktuk, Debbie Oyukuluk and Kristina Tulugak.

Here, I chat with Debbie -- from the Qikiqtani Region -- about speaking Inuktitut with Nunavik kids. There is a bit of an inside joke in there. I ask her if she can understand them better than people from the Kivalliq (the central region of Nunavut). She said yes.

Different dialects and regions are known for different things. I once asked a translator at the Nunavut Legislative Assembly the difference between the Qikiqtani (Baffin Island) dialect and the Kivalliq dialect. She said it was the difference between Paris French and Alberta French.

She also said it with a laugh. The translator was from the Kivalliq, guess where she thought the Paris French was coming from.

Then there are people from Sanikiluaq. They are known for speaking very quickly.

Me, I'm just happy I can ask her "How's it going" in her own language.

No comments: